My mother passed away more than a year ago. Heirs are me (son), 4 daughters and her late 2nd husband's children. Daughter 3 was named executor and is married to a lawyer whose firm was retained to handle the will. Both the executor and her husband have had medical problems and have become unresponsive. What options do I have for obtaining information on the status of the will? A broker who has managed the assets of the estate (stocks, bonds -  there is no real estate) is waiting for instructions.

17 minutes ago, philly_1990 said:

Daughter 3 was named executor

Just to be clear, was she appointed by the probate court to serve as executor?  Or is she merely nominated in your mother's will to serve in that capacity?

18 minutes ago, philly_1990 said:

What options do I have for obtaining information on the status of the will?

If the will has been submitted for probate, then you should be able to view the file at the courthouse.  However, it's possible that there won't be much of anything relevant in there after the order appointing your sister as executor.

Ultimately, if the executor isn't doing her job, you can seek to have her removed by the court and request that someone else be appointed.

×
×