Sign in to follow this  
Farmer Mac

Property and Farm vehicle rights

A neighbor has a dispute with my brother and sister-in-law who live out of state. I am living on my brother's property here in Tennessee with a signed lease as caretaker. The neighbor left his tractor on the property after helping me to clear some of the land. Can I legally drive the tractor back to his property? I am worried that he has left it here to try to cause me legal problems and get me to leave.

28 minutes ago, Pam McDonald said:

Can I legally drive the tractor back to his property? I am worried that he has left it here to try to cause me legal problems and get me to leave.

The neighbor did you a big favor and you're thinking trouble because the tractor is still there? Yikes.

Bake him some cookies and gently ask him when he would be able to retrieve his tractor.

For all you know he may be waiting on you to say whether there's more work or not.

This 'neighbor' didn't bring his tractor here just out of the goodness of his heart. He was a friend of the owner's brother who used to own this property. The man died in a suspicious fire on the property. The neighbor believe's he should own this property because of his long time friendship with the brother. He's illegally stored junk here for years. Was asked to leave and get all his belongings off the property 2 years ago when my sister-in-law was awarded the property by a judge.Now he's been told he can not come onto the property without paying rent for the last 2 years he's used this property illegally. He brought the tractor over as a way to try to "sweet talk" the owner into letting him have his junk which is still all over the property. I believe he is leaving the tractor here trying to trap me into something illegal.

So you are concerned he will say you or someone else stole the tractor?  If that is correct call the local PD or Sheriff's office and get them out there to take a report of his abandoned property. This way you will in all likelihood be covered.

7 hours ago, Farmer Mac said:

This 'neighbor' didn't bring his tractor here just out of the goodness of his heart. He was a friend of the owner's brother who used to own this property. The man died in a suspicious fire on the property. The neighbor believe's he should own this property because of his long time friendship with the brother. He's illegally stored junk here for years. Was asked to leave and get all his belongings off the property 2 years ago when my sister-in-law was awarded the property by a judge.Now he's been told he can not come onto the property without paying rent for the last 2 years he's used this property illegally. He brought the tractor over as a way to try to "sweet talk" the owner into letting him have his junk which is still all over the property. I believe he is leaving the tractor here trying to trap me into something illegal.

Jeez, that's a complete 180 from what you wrote in your first post.