pinballman

I thought I was covered

I own my own truck. (semi) I was leased on to a mom and pap motor carrier in Minnesota. I had some problems with my checking account and my payment to the insurance company got denied. (bobtail insurance) I looked on line to see what exactly bobtail insurance is. Bobtail insurance is insurance that covers you when you drive your truck without a trailer.  For one reason or another the company that I hauled for purchased the insurance. And  I paid for it automatically through my checking account. After I got the notes that my policy got canceled my boss called me to remind me that the policy got canceled. (he got a cancellation notes also)  I told him that I got on line and learned what bobtail insurance was. And that I decided not to buy bobtail insurance for my truck. Mainly because I vary seldom bobtail anywhere, except when going to the repair shop. We talked on the phone about 30 minutes, and not once did my boss encourage me or tell me that I needed to have this insurance on my truck. So I was confident that I made the right decision. Later that year (December) I tipped the truck over on a  icy road. Latter I found out that I had no insurance on the truck. The Physical damage insurance portion of the coverage was tied to the bobtail insurance. I was not aware of this. If I was, I would have surly purchased the physical damage coverage portion of the insurance for my truck. I'm thinking of suing my former boss for the damage on my truck. Of course the towing company is thinking about suing me. Anyone have any ideas on what I should do.

2 hours ago, pinballman said:

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do.

You have no case against anybody but yourself for not having the right insurance.

You own and drive a truck for a living. Insurance is your life blood. There's no excuse for being clueless about it.

There is nothing you can do but pay your towing bill out of pocket and figure out how to repair or replace your truck with your own money.

Before you put it on the road again, get yourself to an independent insurance agent who has experience with truckers' insurance and get it done right. Don't rely on anybody else.

"Bobtailing" is a recognized term regarding the "tractor" portion

of a "Tractor-Trailer," i am dumbstruck on how an O/O would

have concluded not having that coverage would be a reasonable

decision. It would be like dropping the coverage on your pickup,

but keeping the insurance on the airstream. Im not trying to kick 

you when down, but unfortunately you really cant claim ignorance

here or (unless you have it in writing where your boss says "drop

bobtail") put the blame on anyone else either. Im sorry Driver.

I second AdJacks advice - if you can/planning to continue trucking,

get a good agent for next time, and maybe speak to a specialist 

about the rest of the business. There are a lot of other Tax and

FMCSA rules that you may not have been taught that can get you

into a whole lot more trouble. Good luck otherwise.

×
×