Sign in to follow this  
Ilka

Lease renewal under new lease regulations

My lease is expiring end of August, 2019. I have lived in the apartment 1 year and my landlord said that he will not renew the lease. The apartment is unregulated. Is a landlord required for an unregulated apartment to renew a lease under the Housing Stability/ Tenant Prot. Act 2019?

The law doesn't seem to add anything that would stop him from not renewing the lease.

Changes that impact ALL rental units

Part M, entitled “Statewide Housing Security and Tenant Protection Act of 2019” enacts the following changes which would apply to all rental units, regardless of stabilization status:

-  For lease renewals:

o  Prohibits denying lease renewals or an unreasonable rent increase as a retaliatory measure when code complaints have been made.

o Aside from what the lease itself may state, if the owner intends to raise the rent above 5% or intends to not renew the tenancy, the owner must send notice. If the tenant has occupied the unit for less than one year, 30 days’ notice is required. For a tenant that occupies a unit for more than one year but less than two and has a lease of more than one year but less than two, 60 days’ notice is required. For tenants that have occupied a unit more than two years or a lease term or at least two years, 90 days’ notice is required.

o Requires written notice of late payments.

What's up with the gigantic font?

32 minutes ago, Ilka said:

the Housing Stability/ Tenant Prot. Act 2019

Since you didn't identify your state, I have no idea what this refers to.

32 minutes ago, Ilka said:

Is a landlord required for an unregulated apartment to renew a lease

In the absence of rent control or other regulation of that sort, I'm not aware of any state or circumstance in which a landlord is obligated to renew a lease.