Sign in to follow this  
susanwilliams

Board Director

I am the President of my condo's HOA.  My Mother, who lives with me and co-owns my condo, is being considered by appointment to be the Treasurer of the HOA.  The current Treasurer is stepping down due to his term being up.  Our bylaws and CCRs do not say that two owners in one household can't be Board Directors.  However, my neighbor said he thinks this is a conflict of interest since we live together and both own the same real estate.  I and the other Board Director want my Mother in the position because she is a retired Accountant and is very qualified for the job.  She also has a lot of free time so she is eager to fulfill the responsibilities needed.  We must have 3 Directors to operate.  Our governing documents allow us to appoint in this situation, no election is required.  Is there anything we should be concerned with by making this appointment?  Thanks.

1 minute ago, susanwilliams said:

This is at a different HOA.  Not related.

This is why I would never own property subject to an HOA.  And to be involved with two is insane.

1 minute ago, susanwilliams said:

What kind of trouble can he stir up?

He can sue.  Win or lose that is trouble.

A president, secretary, or treasurer are officers of a corporation and are not necessarily members of the Board of Directors.  It all depends on the by-laws.  As we always say here, no one can give an intelligent answer who has not read the actual documents.