Sign in to follow this  
Robb6055

Can my former employer give out reason for my termination and other information to a member of the public or a member of my family without my consent?

My former employer emailed my reason for termination as well as other information to my mother in-law after my mother in-law transferred her policy to another agent. The former employer also said she contacted my former employers about me after I was fired about the circumstances of me leaving those other companies. Is this against employment laws in the state of Michigan? Is she allowed to give out information about my employment to a member of the general public even if the information was given to a family member? I dont know what to do. My former employer I feel is out to "get" me and ruin my reputation as well as create drama within my family. Any help or guidance will be appreciated! Also according to the email my former employer sent to my mother in-law the corporation that the agent works for gave the recording of my anonymous complaint to my former employer. Is this allowed by law?

45 minutes ago, Robb6055 said:

My former employer emailed my reason for termination as well as other information to my mother in-law after my mother in-law transferred her policy to another agent

What is the connection between your former employer doing this and your mother-in-law transferring some (insurance?) policy to another agent?

46 minutes ago, Robb6055 said:

Is this against employment laws in the state of Michigan?

Yes, unless (1) you are/were a member of a labor union that has a collective bargaining agreement with your former employer and the CBA prohibits something like this, (2) you and your former employer are parties to a contract that prohibits this, or (maybe) (3) you were a civil service employee and some civil service regulation prohibits it.

48 minutes ago, Robb6055 said:

Is she allowed to give out information about my employment to a member of the general public even if the information was given to a family member?

Same answer.

48 minutes ago, Robb6055 said:

I dont know what to do.

I would assume you'd look for a new job.

Let me ask you a question:  if, instead of being fired, you had quit your job, do you think it should be illegal for you to talk with others about your former employer and your reason(s) for quitting?  If your answer is no, then why should it be any different for an employer?

I believe that pg1067 intended to say No, it is not against the employment laws of Michigan (or any other state either) other than through the exceptions he outlined. Unless one of those exceptions exist, the employer can take out an add on the Interstate giving the reason you were fired if he so chooses and it wouldn't violate anything (except maybe good taste and professionalism).

1 hour ago, cbg said:

I believe that pg1067 intended to say No, it is not against the employment laws of Michigan (or any other state either) other than through the exceptions he outlined.

Correct (and oops).