Sign in to follow this  
Jared Rogers

Father and mother unmarried

My significant other and I have a daughter together. We want to change her last name to mine....I am her legal father and we want a lawyer to take care of the entire process

Edited by Jared Rogers
added need of lawyer

4 hours ago, Jared Rogers said:

My significant other and I have a daughter together. We want to change her last name to mine....I am her legal father and we want a lawyer to take care of the entire process

Then hire one.

This is not a referral service and reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients.

I googled to find a lawyer in my area and this site came up (along with a few others) so that is why I asked the question. Of course reputable lawyers do not troll message boards looking for clients!!!! DAH! So......tell me.....just what is this site for?????

6 minutes ago, Jared Rogers said:

So......tell me.....just what is this site for?

Asking questions about legal matters.  Also, there's a "find a lawyer" link at the top of the page.

5 hours ago, Jared Rogers said:

I googled to find a lawyer in my area and this site came up (along with a few others) so that is why I asked the question. Of course reputable lawyers do not troll message boards looking for clients!!!! DAH! So......tell me.....just what is this site for?????

So people like me can suggest things like this:

9 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

Google name change for a minor with the name of your state and learn all about the court process.

The court might not allow it unless you are married.

A site like this is just a starting point.

Had you mentioned your state I would have provided a link to information that you can easily find by googling the topic. But since you didn't, I didn't.

PS. You generally don't need a lawyer to file for a name change.

BTW, why isn't your name on the birth certificate?

I have a question. My girlfriend & I aren't getting along and we have a baby together. Do I have the right to take my child & go places & stay places without his mom while we go through the custody process or will I get in trouble taking our child to do things or go stay places without her being with?

3 hours ago, Single dad said:

Do I have the right to take my child & go places & stay places without his mom

Just as much right as she does.

3 hours ago, Single dad said:

will I get in trouble taking our child to do things or go stay places without her being with?

Depends on where you go and how long you stay.

Perhaps you should talk to her and reach an agreement as to who does what with the child.

4 hours ago, Single dad said:

My girlfriend & I aren't getting along and we have a baby together. Do I have the right to take my child & go places & stay places without his mom while we go through the custody process or will I get in trouble taking our child to do things or go stay places without her being with?

First,  you should have started your own thread rather than tagging onto someone else's thread.

Second, the answer in the prior post is wrong (or at least premature).  We need more information.

I what state do you live?  Is that the same state where the child was born?

Has your paternity ever been established?  If so, how was it established?

Is there any court order concerning custody, visitation and support?  If so, please summarize it.