Sign in to follow this  
tabnotbrat

Rent reduction percentage of past paid rent refunded

I have lived in home for 10 yrs. It has a separate garage. this winter the roof of the garage caved in and it is useless now. I have had to move all the boxes I stored in there into my dining room. I also, can no longer keep my motorcycle in there and have to pay to store it. Can I get back a portion of the rent I have paid  for the loss of the garage and dining room. IT is not in the same CONDITION THAT I AGREED TO PAY 700.00 FOR

In your other post you said your home also has holes in the roof, large holes in the floor, and leaky windows and doors.  Now, you also have a collapsed garage roof. It sounds like it is time to move on.

In the other post you did not mention that you had lived in the place ten years.  Did all this just start recently?

5 hours ago, tabnotbrat said:

this winter the roof of the garage caved in

What did the landlord say when you asked him/her to repair it?

Have you had a contractor give you an estimate on the repairs?

If this is rental property, the landlord may have some obligation to repair, and if the landlord fails in that obligation you may be able to repair it yourself and deduct all or a portion of the cost from your rent.

The landlord has the obligation to maintain the property in habitable condition.  ORE. 90.320.   But the remedy for not maintaining the premises in habitable condition is termination of the lease. ORE 90.360.  It is not clear that a damaged garage would constitute an issue if habitability.

It is only minor defects that allow the tenant to repair and withhold, minor being repairs costing less the $300.  ORE  90.368.   If the tenant decides to repair and withhold, however, the tenant must abide by an extensive list of notice requirements. 90.368.

This is basically related to your other thread, so I'm going to cut and paste what you posted here and respond there.  Maybe a moderator will consolidate the threads.