potdropandrole

Boss threatens firing/never gettting a raise for parking in a public parking lot

So I'm a 17 year old kid who's worked at a local restaurant in Wisconsin for over three years now. I started as a dishwasher and moved my way up to a full time cook and am now able to do everything in the restaurant.

The owner (family owned business) owns the building the restaurant is in, but does not own the parking lot. The parking lot is city owned, you have to plug a meter, 2 hour time limit. Recently he's been demanding that no one can park in this parking lot on Friday's or Saturdays, claiming a lack of business due to their being no parking spots available, saying customers drive away because they can't find anywhere to park. He's instead demanded that we park in a different a couple blocks away. 

Originally he threatened the Job of anyone who parked in the public parking lot but I think after some thought he realized how much money he would loose in a lawsuit if he actually ever fired anyone for it. He then moved on to say that anyone who parks in this public parking lot would not be eligible for a raise until they started parking in a different lot a couple blocks away.

Is any of this illegal? if so, could someone link the particular law or statue their violating. Also would a lawsuit be worth it over this and how profitable could it be?

Thanks,

PotDropAndRole (Alias to maintain anonymity)

None of it is illegal. It would not be worth a lawsuit and you would not receive a penny since no laws are being violated.

The only way this would violate any laws would be if minimum wage was raised by either your state legislation or an act of Congress, and your current wage is below the new minimum. In that case, he would be required to give you enough of a raise to bring you to the new minimum (though not a penny more) and you could file a wage claim if he did not.

34 minutes ago, cbg said:

None of it is illegal. It would not be worth a lawsuit and you would not receive a penny since no laws are being violated.

The only way this would violate any laws would be if minimum wage was raised by either your state legislation or an act of Congress, and your current wage is below the new minimum. In that case, he would be required to give you enough of a raise to bring you to the new minimum (though not a penny more) and you could file a wage claim if he did not.

If he would of fired me for parking in a public parking lot could I do something?

I figured the whole no raise thing was legal tbh...

On 6/15/2019 at 5:09 PM, potdropandrole said:

Originally he threatened the Job of anyone who parked in the public parking lot but I think after some thought he realized how much money he would loose in a lawsuit if he actually ever fired anyone for it.

I have to wonder where a 17 year old acquired so much legal knowledge that he/she feels competent to opine that such a lawsuit would result in significant losses.

Is any of this illegal?

No.  It's all legal.

Also would a lawsuit be worth it over this and how profitable could it be?

Lawsuits are not designed to earn profits.  Where meritorious, lawsuits are designed to put the damaged person back in the same place he/she would have been but for the legal wrong.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:21 PM, potdropandrole said:

If he would of fired me for parking in a public parking lot could I do something?

Yes, you could have sought a new job.

Not at all illegal to forbid employees from parking in the lot and taking up spots intended for customers. It isn't even unusual, particularly in places with limited parking. Look at most any store or shopping center. The closest spots are customer spots, not employees.