Dr. Dan

Utility company left a hole in the ground

Hi,

An Illinois utility company dug a hole in my back yard and left. No work has been done on the hole for over a month. I contacted the utility commission and my state congressman but so far they have not been able to help. The dirt excavated from the hole is about 6' outside of the utility easement (5'), so 11' x 6' of the back yard are unusable. What is my recourse?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Don't they have the right to **** it back up without warning if they choose to?

I would assume the utility company has an easement over the area where the hole was dug.  If that is the case, they have the right to keep the hole open until they have finished whatever they were doing.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

That's where I started almost two weeks ago.

You should have said that in your post and I wouldn't have had to waste my time bringing it up.

7 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

I would assume the utility company has an easement over the area where the hole was dug.  If that is the case, they have the right to keep the hole open until they have finished whatever they were doing.  

The dirt from the hole is outside the easement and is preventing OP from using his own property.

What can he do about that?

Maybe get a shovel and move the dirt back into the hole? ;)

3 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

Don't they have the right to excavate it back up without warning if they choose to?

You told us that there is a utility easement, but we obviously don't know anything about what it says.

3 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

I doubt that the easement gives the utility company the right to dig a large hole, leave dirt from the hole outside the easement, and leave the yard in that condition in perpetuity.