Wrongfully accused

Someone used my name in a traffic violation

I recently received notice that I was issued 4 traffic citations that were not paid and guilty in absentia.  Failure to maintain proper control of vehicle, expired registration, expired inspection and no operators license.  

These infractions were in Virginia where I used to live and I have moved to Texas since then and was working in Texas the date and time of the infraction.  

When i I got the notices in the mail, I immediately called the va court to contest, they gave me the troopers contact to discuss with him.  I got hold of the trooper and he FaceTimed me and immediately realized I was not the person he had issued the citations to.  Since he knows that it wasn’t me, does he have a legal obligation to go to court and clear my record of those violations before any further harm is done to my record?

No.  The officer has neither the responsibility nor authority to reverse the judgment of the court.  He is not a party to the case, he was a witness.  You will have to petition the court to reopen the case.  You might start with contacting the office of the commonwealth attorney in the county where it occurred.  Do it quickly because your license will be suspended for failure to pay the fines adding further complexity to the matter.

23 minutes ago, Wrongfully accused said:

Would you know of any other recourse I could take otherwise?

You can hire a lawyer in VA but you'll have to appear in court to testify at some point. There's no other way out of this unless you just pay the fines.

×
×