helpfulperch

Witnessed a hit-and-run but being ID'd as the culprit?

Nashville, TN

- Sun afternoon, a 13yr old white girl (will be relevant) on a bike drives past another car in front of me (Car A, similar black sedan to mine) at a light intersection coming out of my apt complex. 
- Car A moves forward slowly & the girl meets & falls onto their hood. She gets off the hood, Car A reverses, I reverse, & she moves to speak at the window of Car A to the driver. I assume they're confirming that she is ok (seemed to be).
- Girl moves her bike to the sidewalk. Car A takes a right & drives off. I pull forward & get out to ask her if she's ok & if she wants me to call a police/ambulance. She refuses, says she's that she's fine. I drive off.
- I discover later the girl contacted her step-mom. Sends police, fire-trucks, ambulance.
- Sat afternoon, the step-mother is driving thru my apt complex screaming, racial slurs ('n-word', I'm white!), threats. She stops at my car, takes pictures of it. I approach. She raves about the car being the one that hit her daughter and making threats. I tell her it's my car but I was only a witness, not the culprit. She keeps raving and eventually drives off. She even left a post-it note saying 'Hit & run mother f***ers! I'm watching you'.
- Wed afternoon, I get a report saying I'm the hit-and-run culprit since my car looked like Car A. A witness IDs me/my car, and I'm unsure if the girl changed her story.

What do I do? I don't have a dash-cam or other witness to the accident. I'm only a witness in this situation, but for some reason I'm the one being blamed for hitting this girl. I know now what I should've done, but now I'm regretting not staying, or taking pictures of Car A, writing the license plate number, etc. 

I've already filed a report against the step-mother, with witnesses to her threats. But that still leaves the hit-and-run report against me. I'm contacting the officer this morning who made the report to try to clear things up, but I don't know what else to do/say to affirm my innocence.

I have a pristine driving record, work for the State, and need fast advice. 

Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated!

3 hours ago, helpfulperch said:

Wed afternoon, I get a report saying I'm the hit-and-run culprit since my car looked like Car A.

Get a report from whom?  A written report?  Verbal report?

3 hours ago, helpfulperch said:

What do I do?

I'm certain that you do lots of things.

3 hours ago, helpfulperch said:

I've already filed a report against the step-mother, with witnesses to her threats.

Filed a report with whom?

Based on what you wrote, it's possible that you'll be arrested and charged with one or more crimes and sued.  It's equally possible that nothing at all will happen.  Obviously, if you're arrested and/or sued, you should retain an attorney.  It might also be a good idea to contact your auto liability insurance carrier and report what happened and what is happening.

34 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

Sorry - a written police report was provided to the manager of the apt complex since it occurred on their property, and also another other tenants complained about the incident with the mother so the complex will likely file a complaint for that too.

I'm certain that you do lots of things.

Filed a report with whom?

A report was filed with the police regarding the incident with the mother. Contacted a lawyer prior to contacting 'Hit and Run' dept with the police. Lawyer will be deciding next steps, but advised not to communicate further with anyone, and to tell police (if they call), that the lawyer will contact them. If there is a warrant sent out or sued, the lawyer will organize things. 

Definitely did this as well and they said they will cover legal fees, and send an adjuster to conduct an investigation of the car - the only scary thing they said is that they will have to contact the victim/mother to get evidence. I'm telling them to delay since they lawyer is not free until this afternoon, and that I'm in fear of what the mother will do. The adjuster is about to call. 

More as it develops. Thank you all!

×
×