Sign in to follow this  
Skylark942

Moving out by force

I have lived in my in-laws house for now 4 years. I plan to move out once I have the finances, but my mother in law just texted me that she wants me to leave by June. 30th. My wife on the other hand has told me that she will have the locks changed and call the sheriff's department to report me as trespassing if I come home today. I have no rental agreements or contracts. My mother-in-law said that I would be under "Squatters Rights", which I'm unsure it true. I am looking for an answer on if I have any legal rights.

We live in NY State in Erie County.

Well, people call it squatters rights because they don't know any better. You are a tenant at will. The NY landlord-tenant statute requires "no less than thirty days" notice of termination of tenancy:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2017/rpp/article-7/228/

A 28 day notice doesn't cut it though, given your marital situation, it's probably not a good idea to quibble about it.

A more critical issue is that your marriage has deteriorated to the point that your wife is hostile to you.

1 hour ago, Skylark942 said:

My wife on the other hand has told me that she will have the locks changed and call the sheriff's department to report me as trespassing if I come home today.

If you go home today and she calls the police, the police will probably agree that you aren't trespassing and will require her to let you in.

Trouble is, depending on just how hostile things are, she could take out a restraining order and have the police remove you from the house a lot sooner than 30 days. Women can often get restraining orders just for the asking.

You're the only one who can say what kind of risk there is of a restraining order.

21 hours ago, Skylark942 said:

My mother-in-law said that I would be under "Squatters Rights", which I'm unsure it true.

It's not.

21 hours ago, Skylark942 said:

I am looking for an answer on if I have any legal rights.

Of course you do.  Everyone ha dozens of legal rights.

Do you have a more specific question?