rkkk

FMLA Medical certification from a foreign doctor for person in USA

My mother has multiple chronic conditions due to which she needs assistance for day-to-day activities and psychological support. She splits her time between USA and a foreign country. She sees doctors only in the foreign country. She has been in USA for couple of months, my wife helped her and now due to change of circumstance she needs my help. I want to take FMLA for 2-3 months.

Is it OK to get the medical certification from the doctor in foreign country since that is where all her treatment happened and her medical records are present, even though she saw him two months back? Or do we need to get it from doctor in USA?

For her conditions which began many years ago, what should the doctor specify for the question when did the condition start? Or should he mention the date she arrived in USA since she needs assistance here since we are her only family?

For estimate of time care is needed, can he mention 6 months (her duration of stay in USA) - in case I need to take leave at a later time? For continuous leave, can he give the start and end dates for the two months that I am requesting.

The doctor need not be in the US, HOWEVER, doctors outside the US, unless they serve a large expat population, are generally confused by FMLA paperwork. Expect your mother to have to explain why it is needed and what is necessary. The fact that she hasn't seen the doctor in 2 months may or may not matter. For example, if she was blind from birth, a doctor certifying her visual impairment 2 months ago is just as valid then as it would be now. If it were recovery from surgery which took place 2 months ago, a certification from 2 months ago would be woefully out of date.