Donna Rup

Used Car

I purchased a used car in March of 2017. Within one month of having the car, not even a month, it broke down on me. I believe it was a lemon! Now the car company is coming after me in court for the payment of the vehicle that I don't even have. It is also asking me to send a written response. I received an interrogatories after judgement letter stating that I had to reply in writing and under oath. What does that mean?

6 hours ago, Donna Rup said:

I received an interrogatories after judgement letter stating that I had to reply in writing and under oath. What does that mean?

Assuming you have been sued and there is a judgment against you, you have basically been served with a post-judgment debtors examination.

You will have to reveal the nature and location of all your assets whether it be money or property, and your income and its source, or you could be held in contempt of court.

I'm pretty sure that the interrogatories gave you instructions on what to do. Follow them.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:39 PM, Donna Rup said:

I purchased a used car in March of 2017. Within one month of having the car, not even a month, it broke down on me. I believe it was a lemon!

Not likely.  Most states' "lemon laws" apply only to new cars, and a car cannot be considered a "lemon" until the seller has had multiple opportunities to correct the issue.  In what state did you purchase the car?  Did you obtain a warranty on the car?  Regardless, since you've apparently been sued and had a judgment entered against you, it's a moot point now.

Now the car company is coming after me in court for the payment of the vehicle that I don't even have.

Well...you agreed to pay on the loan, and your agreement to pay on the loan unquestionably was not contingent on you remaining in possession of the car.  However, you failed to explain why you "don't even have" the car.

What does what mean?  Are you seriously claiming not to know what "in writing and under oath" means?  If your question is something else, identifying your state will go a long way toward you getting a useful response.

×
×