CJ1234

Hidden cameras in the workplace

I'm not sure. My admin told me that the boss told her she has a camera in my office and she has been watching me. Not even sure why? I thought that employers had the right to put cameras in the workplace as long as they let employees know. I would have had no issue with it. 

It is 3rd party, but she would not lie. She couldn't understand the reason herself. I just need to find out if it's legal. I know there can't be audio on cameras, but is it legal to do it in my office without consent? 

The other option is that the boss lied to her.

I don't have enough information to say if it's legal or not. I'm leaning towards yes. But at this point I see no reason to assume the cameras are there at all.

1 hour ago, CJ1234 said:

I just need to find out if it's legal.

You refer to a camera in your office. It could be argued that you are expected to spend your day working on your employer's interests and your employer would thus be entitled to monitor every thing you do and say with regard to your employer's business. You would, therefore, have no expectation of privacy since you should not be doing anything personal or private while on your employer's premises (other than going to the potty).

TN Code 39-13-605

(a) It is an offense for a person to knowingly photograph, or cause to be photographed an individual, when the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy, without the prior effective consent of the individual...if the photograph:

(1) Would offend or embarrass an ordinary person if such person appeared in the photograph; and

(2) Was taken for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification of the defendant.

(b) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, "photograph" means any photograph or photographic reproduction, still or moving, or any videotape or live television transmission of any individual.

TN Code 39-13-607

(a) It is an offense for a person to knowingly spy upon, observe or otherwise view an individual, when the individual is in a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, without the prior effective consent of the individual, if the viewing:

(1) Would offend or embarrass an ordinary person if the person knew the person was being viewed; and

(2) Was for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification of the defendant.

Thank you everyone. Her "purpose" for putting it there is because I have another job and she was making sure I wasn't working on that. I might also add that she does not own the business ( not sure if that matters or not). She's an awful boss anyway it's probably time to move on. She told me she couldn't send me in front of the clients because they wanted someone who was skinny and cute, so she or the admin would have to go. I'm over being there. I appreciate all of the feedback 

From the information you've provided and Jack's links, I would say that assuming there is a camera there at all, which I think is doubtful at best, it is legal. You have no expectation of privacy in your office and while I'm not saying I necessarily approve of the way she is alleged to have gone about it, there is nothing wrong or inappropriate with her checking to confirm you're not working at your other job while on her time. It doesn't matter a whit whether she owns the business or not.