Sign in to follow this  
CharlieMarshall

Rights to use of the sidewalk in front of a storefront/restaurant

There are two quick service restaurants side by side. They are both busy with lines on the sidewalk. Does either business have the right to have their line run across the front of the other business? Does it matter if it's on the building 50% or streetside 50% because I've heard that half the sidewalk is the tenants and the farther half is the cities in terms of right and usage for non permitted activities like placing a plant or a frame sign etc.

3 hours ago, CharlieMarshall said:

They are both busy with lines on the sidewalk.

I had to stare at that for a bit before it dawned on me that you were referring to people lining up on the sidewalk to enter the businesses.

Does either business have the right to have their line run across the front of the other business?

Of course not. If the customers of business A are interfering with business B then business B has a right to have them removed and vice versa.

I've heard that half the sidewalk is the tenants and the farther half is the cities in terms of right and usage for non permitted activities like placing a plant or a frame sign etc.

Heard that from where? I know of no statutory authorities that support that statement.

16 hours ago, CharlieMarshall said:

Does either business have the right to have their line run across the front of the other business?

"Rights" of this sort derive from the applicable law and any contracts between the party.  You didn't identify the state or locality where this is occurring and didn't tell us anything about any contracts between the two businesses.  Therefore, it is utterly impossible to analyze this issue intelligently (and, for that reason, the absolute and unequivocal statement in the prior response is wrong).

Does it matter if it's on the building 50% or streetside 50%

"It"?  What does "it" refer to in this sentence?

I've heard that half the sidewalk is the tenants and the farther half is the cities in terms of right and usage for non permitted activities

""Heard" from whom?