I recently watched the Bundy Tapes on Netflix, don't get me wrong, I think he got just what he deserved...actually he deserved worse.

I found it very odd and a violation of his rights to parade him out in front of the cameras to read him his indictment. I felt that was very irregular. I know the indictment is read in court but I feel that by reading his indictment on live television as a kind of we caught him, this is him he is such a monster we did a live reading for all to see is a bit guilty until proven inoccent.

I suspect the recording was done by a television or video production company and not the state.  Right?  If so, it involves the first amendment's press privilege.  The press is seldom accused of being fair.

12 hours ago, Phoenixprogram said:

I found it very odd and a violation of his rights to parade him out in front of the cameras to read him his indictment.

A violation of which rights?  What is the source of those rights?

Do you have a question?

I just feel situations like these high profile cases really infringe on a person's right to a fair trial. I do not have issue with televised trials provided the jurors are following their instructions, it's the pre trial phase where I believe the rights of the accused should out weight the rights provided to the press because at the end of the day the accused has so much more to lose. I suppose it is the age old question of which rights trump other rights. I just don't see how these situations lend themselves to a fair trial. 

The kind of press coverage we have of criminal trials is very unique.  In the UK, it doesn't happen.  What the press can print and when is tightly controlled about a criminal case is tightly controlled for that very reason.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, Phoenixprogram said:

I found it very odd and a violation of his rights to parade him out in front of the cameras to read him his indictment.

So why did you watch it if you thought that the memorializing  was a violation of his rights?   Just asking

9 hours ago, Phoenixprogram said:

I just feel situations like these high profile cases really infringe on a person's right to a fair trial.

What aspect of a fair trial do you believe they infringe upon?

22 hours ago, Phoenixprogram said:

I just feel situations like these high profile cases really infringe on a person's right to a fair trial. I do not have issue with televised trials provided the jurors are following their instructions, it's the pre trial phase where I believe the rights of the accused should out weight the rights provided to the press because at the end of the day the accused has so much more to lose. I suppose it is the age old question of which rights trump other rights. I just don't see how these situations lend themselves to a fair trial. 

If you start limiting press freedoms society as a whole has more to lose than one single individual.

An indictment once handed down is a public document.  

11 hours ago, VeraCaUSA said:

So why did you watch it if you thought that the memorializing  was a violation of his rights?   Just asking

What aspect of a fair trial do you believe they infringe upon?

The program referenced by the OP is a 2019 documentary about a person who died 30 years ago and whose crimes occurred over 40 years ago.  Rather obviously, there's nothing about the documentary that aired 30 years after the guy died that violated his rights.

2 hours ago, pg1067 said:

The program referenced by the OP is a 2019 documentary about a person who died 30 years ago and whose crimes occurred over 40 years ago.  Rather obviously, there's nothing about the documentary that aired 30 years after the guy died that violated his rights.

While I think it is obvious the intent of your comment  yet since the question had absolutely nothing to do with the 'documentary' or the 'person' but what the OP stated to be a violation of a defendant's right; being the memorializing (which means to preserve a record). So in the context of the posted question, the term 'memorializing'  obviously refers to the video recording which the OP was referring unto in the comment that was quoted.

"I found it very odd and a violation of his rights to parade him out in front of the cameras to read him his indictment." 

49 minutes ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

Had this been a violation of his rights his attorneys really should have brought it up on appeal.

Bundy's first problem in the court system is that he insisted on leading his defense team.  He prevented them from asserting a competency defense.  His appellate attorneys tried to argue ineffective assistance of counsel but since he conducted most of his defense, that didn't fly....

6 hours ago, LegalwriterOne said:

Bundy's first problem in the court system is that he insisted on leading his defense team.  He prevented them from asserting a competency defense.  His appellate attorneys tried to argue ineffective assistance of counsel but since he conducted most of his defense, that didn't fly....

If not mistaken, I think the Judge told Bundy that he would have been a brilliant lawyer during his sentencing.