Sign in to follow this  
rhubarb cherry

Reading another person's email

I am in the middle of a divorce that is very high conflict.  For various reasons, I think that I could write a book about my experiences and it would have a decent chance of being successful.

I currently have access to my STBX's email account... I have been advised by my divorce attorney to not read his emails because it could hurt me in front of the judge if I got caught.

After the divorce is over, however, I will likely still have access to his emails.  Would it be legal for me to read his emails and quote from them if I am writing a book?  I think seeing his perspective on our divorce would help make the book better.

Depends on the laws of your unidentified state, but you can probably assume that, if any book you might write indicates that you read his e-mails, you and your publisher will get sued.

Depending on how you have access to his email account, it may be unlawful under federal law for you to read his emails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act

Is there a place where I can find out the laws of my particular state?  Getting sued is one thing... winning is another. Wouldn't a factually accurate description be protected speech?

Reading the Federal Laws on wikipedia, I should be okay.  I will not do anything except take photos of the messages and quote him accurately.

34 minutes ago, rhubarb cherry said:

Is there a place where I can find out the laws of my particular state?

Of course there is.  If you identify your state, we'll be happy to point you in the right direction.  You're not expecting someone will post links for all 50 states' laws, are you?

35 minutes ago, rhubarb cherry said:

Wouldn't a factually accurate description be protected speech?

Not sure what you're getting at, but accessing someone's e-mail without permission is not "protected speech."