Why do you ask?

That's a serious question. Residency is a lot of different things for different purposes. You can live on somebody's couch and never be a resident or you can be a resident the first day you arrive.

Residency (anywhere) depends on what you do and what you intend to do.

Are you being asked to prove that you are a resident?

Are you being told that you must be a resident to accomplish certain things?

Do you want to be a resident?

Do you want not to be a resident?

So, explain why you are asking and you'll get some helpful comments.

Thank you for your response adjusterjack.  

Heres why I ask   My sister was living/staying at a friends place for sometime now. But for whatever reason was asked to leave and take all of her stuff that day.  Im wondering if shes got any leg to stand on because she is semi handicapped/disabled and has nowhere to go.  I live in California and have  no

way to go get her.  She woke up on the river today and called me.  I dont know what to do and all i could think of are what her rights are.

This has more to do with whether or not she was a tenant in friend's place, not whether she is a resident of the state.

How long was she staying with the "friend"?

What was the arrangement?

Was she paying rent or contributing money in any way?

Was she getting mail there?

If she was a tenant, she would be entitled to notice of termination of tenancy under ARS 33-1375:

https://law.justia.com/codes/arizona/2018/title-33/section-33-1375/

Either 10 days or 30 days depending on the arrangement.

Unfortunately, sometimes having rights doesn't mean one is able to enforce them. It might be unwise to try to get back in with a risk of confrontation. Was there a falling out between the two? Any reason for the abrupt ouster?

Wherever she is you can probably go online and buy her a bus ticket to wherever you are. The alternative is a homeless shelter.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, ib1hardwrkngrl said:

My sister was living/staying at a friends place for sometime now. But for whatever reason was asked to leave and take all of her stuff that day.  Im wondering if shes got any leg to stand on

That's a rather strange metaphor given your comment that she's disabled.  While I'm not sure what you mean by "any leg to stand on," but just because a landlord asks a tenant to leave "that day" doesn't mean the tenant is obligated to do so.  The landlord has to go through the proper eviction process, which, in the absence of cause for terminating the tenancy, requires several days' to a month's notice (as explained in the prior response).  Unfortunately, it sounds like your sister moved as requested.  If that's right, there's nothing she can do about it now.

P.S.  This has nothing to do with gaining "resident" status.