JadeZin

Military

I want to get married to my boyfriend who is in the military. I still live with my mother and I'm staying with her even if we are married because I need to stay in school and he is getting deployed. I don't have a job and I am filed as a dependent because I'm not working and have no plans to work. Can my mother still claim me and do my FASFA for me even though I am married? 

20 hours ago, JadeZin said:

Can my mother still claim me and do my FASFA for me even though I am married? 

If you marry and file a joint federal income tax return with your spouse then you will no longer qualify as a dependent on anyone else's federal income tax return. As for the FAFSA (which is what I assume you meant) whether you need your parent's information for that form depends on whether you are considered dependent of your parents for student aid purposes. The tests for that are different than being a dependent for tax purposes. If you are married you are not a dependent of your parents. To see the entire list of things that factor into whether you are dependent see the Department of Education page on Dependency Status.

I caution you that teen marriage often does not work out well. You tend to change a lot by the time you hit age 25, and your goals and interests may end up different from the goals and interests of your spouse. You may also find that you are interested in a very different type of person as you get older. So do not rush into marriage as a teen. Make sure you marry for the right reasons. Simply to escape your parents is not a good reason to jump into marriage.

×
×