monkbonk

Reduced Pay, Following Request for Paystubs

I have been at my current job for seven months. In that time, they have been paying me a pretty decent rate but never gave me electronic access to my paystubs. 

Fast forward to April, I began the closing process on a house. I requested a print out of my paystubs. My boss consequently saw my pay rate, which I assume he was either unaware of or thought was in error. 

I heard talk that he shopped my pay rate amongst a number of fellow employees. He has likely changed my pay, I suspect, but has not come to me directly to tell me such.

I will find out in two weeks when I get paid, I guess.

Problem is, my mortgage loan is based on my earnings. If my pay is reduced, it will drastically affect my financial health and ability to pay said mortgage. Location: Alabama 

Do I have any recourse? The pay difference would be to the tune of $3 per hour or $600 a month.

Alabama has very weak wage and hour laws. Do you have anything at all that provides your pay rate in writing? Offer letter, union contract, ANYTHING that you could conceivably show to a lawyer to show that your rate is contractual? Because even if you do, it's not guaranteed a win, and if you don't, there's nothing in either Federal or Alabama law that would prohibit your employer from reducing your pay without notice, as long as you're still paid minimum wage or over and as long as you still get overtime when it is earned.

Damn it, I hate with when bosses do that. But it's nonetheless legal unless you can make the case for a contract. And that's a weak maybe at best.

7 hours ago, monkbonk said:

I will find out in two weeks when I get paid, I guess.

Why wait? Go ask your boss if your pay is going to change and you need to know for your mortgage qualifying.

Then you'll need to notify the lender of the change and make appropriate adjustments even if you have to cancel the purchase and look for a lower priced house that you can qualify for.

The one thing you don't want is to lose your house because you can't make the payments.