Sign in to follow this  
Trae

Landlord Denied daughter to move in

I have section 8 housing and my daughter lived with me and was on the lease then move to AZ . She has now returned to CA with her 14month Old son and need to live with me while she gets back on her feet ( she landed a job  in two weeks of being here and began work at @ 3 weeks of being here) ( she also has very good credit score) So what reason could the landlord legally have as a defense to why she doesn't give permission for my daughter to live with me again?  Also it’s a two Bdrm unit 

I think you have it backward.  The landlord is not legally required to let your daughter be a new tenant.  The landlord does not have to "defend" his or her decision  unless his or her decision is based on a constitutional violation, such as denying her new lease on the basis of race, religion, sex, etc.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, RetiredinVA said:

I think you have it backward.  The landlord is not legally required to let your daughter be a new tenant.  The landlord does not have to "defend" his or her decision  unless his or her decision is based on a constitutional violation, such as denying her new lease on the basis of race, religion, sex, etc.

Maybe it is because she has an 18 month child who can cry and cause a noise disturbance? There are Fair Housing Laws and Federal Discrimination Laws started by a good Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson in the 60s in his "war on poverty campaign" not just the US Constitution.

What did the Landlord tell you or its property manager tell you as to why your daughter can't move in even though she was allowed to live with you before? Sometimes apartment complexes change their "House Rules," or policies. I am a Sec. 8 voucher holder, also living in Calif. I wish you the best. :)