Sign in to follow this  
VeraCaUSA

Water Service

I was trying to sell a vacant lot I owned next to my residence and several potential buyers informed me that the City had told them that they would have to not only pay for a water meter to installed on the property which is normal, yet also told them that the water line that serves that property was too small to add any additional connections and they they would have to pay $35,000 in order for the City to extend the other water main down the street back towards the vacant lot before they would even install a meter.  

I am not doubting what the City says needs to be done to provide water service but rather whether it is actually the responsibility of the property owner or the city to pay for the cost of obtaining water to the meter.

Since this involves a single city or water utility, I would suggest you consult an attorney in that city for advice.  I would be surprised if a municipal water supplier is required to run a water main to an individual house for free upon request.