D152so

ARIZONA Vehicle dealer plate in NJ

This question pertains to New Jersey. I’ve been attempting to look this up but have only found guidelines and nothing that is specific on my incident. Hypothetically if I have a vehicle that is registered to someone with its own license plate, am i able to put an Arizona Vehicle Dealer plate on this vehicle? I came across a vehicle with an Arizona vehicle dealer plate on a car and the paperwork shown for that plate was not specific. The VIN to the vehicle came back to a the same vehicle but was registered to someone else and not the dealer the person possessing the vehicle claimed the car belonged to. Im pretty much trying to figure out if this vehicle may be stolen or the plate may be being used in a fictitious manner.

the Arizona law on dealer plates and when they can and can't be used may be found here:

https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/04532.htm

You can read the statute yourself for guidance, but in general it looks like an Arizona dealer plate can only be used in some limited circumstances.

Your post was a little confusing (at least to me) on what exactly is going on, so I don't know whether your situation fits within the limited circumstances in which it is OK to use an Arizona dealer plate or whether something sketchy is happening.

1 hour ago, D152so said:

Personal knowledge? Why post if you don’t offer to enlighten me?

I would ask the same question. Why do you want to know? Your answer will have a bearing on any helpful comments.

For example: Do you live in NJ? Is the car in NJ wearing the AZ dealer tag? Are you planning to buy the car? Have you already bought the car? Did you get (or have you seen) the AZ title? Is the person in possession of the car the same person that is named on the title?

One thing I can almost guarantee is that a NJ resident who gets pulled over in NJ driving that car is going to get a citation.

3 hours ago, D152so said:

if I have a vehicle that is registered to someone with its own license plate, am i able to put an Arizona Vehicle Dealer plate on this vehicle?

Whether you have the ability to do this is something no one here will have the slightest idea about.

On the assumption that the question you intended to ask was whether it would be legal for you to do this, you haven't provided sufficient information.  Are you a licensed vehicle dealer in Arizona?  How is it that you came to "have" this "vehicle that is registered to someone" else (I assume it's registered to someone else)?  Is the registered owner ok with you doing this?  Why would you do this?  You wrote that your "question pertains to New Jersey," but what does that actually mean?  Are you in NJ?  Is the vehicle registered in NJ or AZ?

4 hours ago, D152so said:

I came across a vehicle with an Arizona vehicle dealer plate on a car and the paperwork shown for that plate was not specific.

What does this mean (i.e., what does "came across" mean)?  What paperwork are you talking about?  In what way was it "not specific"?

4 hours ago, D152so said:

Im pretty much trying to figure out if this vehicle may be stolen or the plate may be being used in a fictitious manner.

Feel free to report it to the police and/or talk with the dealer whose plate is in question or the registered owner.  I doubt any of them will provide any relevant information since nothing in your post suggests this is any of your concern.

To clear things up.. I know someone driving a vehicle in NJ that has an Arizona dealer plate attached to the back of it. The registration for the  plate Belongs to a company that the driver of the vehicle does not work for. Also, the VIN on the vehicle shows that it is registered to a person in NJ and that the car has a NJ license plate assigned to it.

what I’m trying to figure out is if under Arizona and NJ law.. is this illegal? Is the car stolen? Was the VIN swapped? Etc

19 minutes ago, D152so said:

what I’m trying to figure out is if under Arizona and NJ law.. is this illegal?

Almost certainly illegal in both states.

19 minutes ago, D152so said:

Is the car stolen? Was the VIN swapped? Etc

No way on earth is anybody going to be able to answer those questions.

If it's not your car and you aren't driving it, why is this your business? What do you want to accomplish about it?

×
×