Sign in to follow this  
bc0824

Disqualifying candidates based on geography/region

I work in the recruiting field and came across an issue where I could use some input.  My client is okay with relocating candidates, but would prefer candidates who either local, have ties to the area to where they are relocating, or have resided in a similar climate/region.  Essentially, they are in an area of the country where it's cold for an extended period of time and has significant snowfall throughout the winter.  They have experience instances in the past where people relocating to a snowier environment don't work out for long because they don't adapt to the environment well.  Those individuals have historically moved back to the warmer regions from where they relocated previously.  My question is this: is it legal for an employer to not engage candidates who are qualified, but are applying from areas that are not in a similar climate/region and don't have interests/ties to the area?

Under federal law, it is generally OK to take those things into account in making a hiring decision.

Those categories are not among the categories that federal discrimination law protects.

Although you'd want to be careful that discriminating against candidates who apply from dissimilar climates/regions doesn't cross the line into national origin discrimination, which is unlawful at the federal level.