jmuttley

missing trust papers

My father had created a gift trust for my  children  while he was alive and then had money placed into another trust for them  when he died in his will.  I have information and receive statements for the gift trust but I can con not find any info on the trust that was created when he past.  My daughter is turning of age for the trusts in a few  months and wants to use the money  to further her education.   What can I do to find out info for the second trust.

You can start by asking the trustee of the first trust, or the representative of the estate, if there is any knowledge of the second trust.

If you know who your father's lawyer was for the first trust, that's another call you can make.

You can check with the bank where the money is for the first trust and see if somebody there knows anything. Though they might not give you the time of day if you aren't the court appointed representative of the estate.

A trust is a private contract. If you can't find the documents you may just have to accept that a second trust doesn't exist.

Well we found the name of the bank and have the account numbers.   my daughter went to a local branch of the bank and found out that the trustee needs to closeout the account so the funds can be distributed to the beneficiaries.  I don't have the phone number of the trustee as it was my father's girl friend.

35 minutes ago, jmuttley said:

I don't have the phone number of the trustee as it was my father's girl friend.

And if you have no idea from any of the other papers where she is located you'll have to hire a private investigator to find her.

he died about 13 years ago.  ANd yes it created as we have papers that prove it and my Kids went to a local branch and they confirmed it was created.  The bank stated that it needs to be closed by the trustee so the funds can be distributed to the beneficiaries (my adult children).  

It's up to your children to chase this, if they want, and they probably should retain the services of a local trust attorney -- especially given how much time has passed.

×
×