Sign in to follow this  
AJ333

Tenants want to break lease because property is for sale

I own a property in CA. I have tenants and recently placed the property on the market. The tenants want out of the lease now. I have said no but offered $100 off the monthly rent while the house is on the market and the realtor has promised to be extremely communicative and respectful, giving more than 24 hours notice on showings. They did not accept the discounted rent, and now will not let repair people enter to take care of things they have made complaints about. They are being very hateful and uncooperative and demanding out of the lease. What are my obligations?

You having the property on the market does not give them the right to break the lease. 

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=1954

The same law allows you access, with 24-hour notice to make repairs or show the property.

You might want to mention to them that an eviction may make it very hard for them to find a new place to live.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  You want someone to create a list of all of your obligations as a landlord?

Have you considered that, regardless of your right of access to the leased premises, having an uncooperative tenant may make it extremely difficult to sell the property or sell it for its full market value and that, accordingly, it may be in your best interests to accede to the tenant's request to terminate the lease early?

4 hours ago, AJ333 said:

They are being very hateful and uncooperative

No surprise there. It's a reasonable response to a landlord who is interfering with their right to quiet enjoyment of the property that they are paying you for. Can't say as I blame them.

You would be wise to let them go, clean up the place and make it appealing to prospective buyers who want to live there, and you'll get it sold a lot faster and probably for a better price.

As an experienced landlord and real estate broker, I've successfully used this hack in appropriate selling circumstances:

For rental properties that are being sold to a new investor/landlord, I've shown pictures of the inside ONLY until I have a valid contract with earnest money, a closing date agreed, and all other contingencies met - finally showing the interior prior to an inspection and removing that last contingency. This has worked for me with investment property transactions - making sure that my pictures are current and detailed, and accurately/reasonably represent the condition of the property.  

8 minutes ago, LegalwriterOne said:

Anybody that puts a dime down to purchase property without actually walking through and inspecting for themselves is a fool. 

You got that right.

3 hours ago, Lionheart said:

For rental properties that are being sold to a new investor/landlord, I've shown pictures of the inside ONLY until I have a valid contract with earnest money, a closing date agreed, and all other contingencies met - finally showing the interior prior to an inspection and removing that last contingency.

Try that with me and you'll be looking for another buyer.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:10 PM, adjusterjack said:

No surprise there. It's a reasonable response to a landlord who is interfering with their right to quiet enjoyment of the property that they are paying you for. Can't say as I blame them.

You would be wise to let them go, clean up the place and make it appealing to prospective buyers who want to live there, and you'll get it sold a lot faster and probably for a better price.

I agree with this.  Let them leave.  This happened to us once when we were renting a beautiful home in CA.  The landlord told us he was going to list the home and asked us if we wanted to leave early.  Of course, we did.  Who wants their lives disrupted daily with strangers going through their homes?  Not us.