Hi!

Sorry there's no forum for Government, so b/c it's about workers, I found this one the closest.

Is it legal for a local Government to send employees for week(s) to do volunteer work for a charity? The employees get paid by the gov as usual, but instead of reporting to work at their gov job location, they go to the charity place, where they do presentations, speeches, etc

IMHO gov shouldn't be playing favorites with organizations nor people at all. So, a big-shot at that local gov selects a charity of his liking to send resources to? Maybe someone's getting a kickback? Maybe this charity under the hood funnels money to a certain political party? Every way I look at it, this practice opens the door to all kind of issues which constitutional government is intended to prevent...

Would you please share some light on this?

Thank you,

Rick

The point here is not being paid. It's whether is it legal for government to contribute to a charity with taxpayer money

Lots of other private sector organizations, which do pay their own private money to employees, have to abide by the rules, and get sued by unions, ACLU, etc etc etc

If someone else has a serious answer, I'm all ears

I'll make a deal with you.

Tell me the name of the government agency that did this, when it was done, the name of the charity and the circumstances and I'll be happy to do the research as to whether it was legal or not.

Depends entirely on the branch/agency and the laws/regulations of that branch/agency. There is nothing inherently illegal about it. It isn't unusual for government employers to have policies allowing or even encouraging employees to volunteer on "company" time. Heck, this was passed by the governor in my state for state employees. It isn't for weeks at a time, but there are a certain number of hours granted as paid leave that can only be used to volunteer for charity/non-profits.

There are also times when a government agency partners with a NGO and that can last years.

If you are unhappy about this situation about which you have not provided any details, you can share your opinion with your elected officials which have jurisdiction over the governmental unit you are referencing.