Sign in to follow this  
razorback201220

Fired for following the law?

I'm a police officer in the State of Arkansas (at will state). At my previous department I was terminated because I towed a vehicle that did not have insurance or registration and the driver was taken into custody for a warrant and a suspended driving license. There was a passenger in the vehicle who did have a valid license. The vehicle was still towed due to no insurance, no registration, and the driver of the vehicle had a suspended license. Two days later my police chief called and told me to turn my stuff in and he was letting me go. When I asked for a reason he refused to tell me. Later I found out from another administrator in the same police department I was terminated because I towed the vehicle. What are my options?

You have the right to file for unemployment and seek a new job.  While you may not have done anything illegal, neither did the  department, unless you were under union contact.