Barbie

Poor behavior/Sexual harassment

Hello, I am trying to figure out which type of attorney I need because I had a sexual harassment incident in the fall of 2018. My apartment complex was undergoing a major $6 million dollar renovation, so there were male workers coming in and out of my unit on a weekly basis for approximately 2-4 months. During this time, one of the supervisors went out of his way to approach me in an unsolicited sexual manner (physical and verbal). I reported the incident initially to my apartment maintenance worker and a couple of days later, I told my property manager as well as the incident foreman for the renovation company. This worker was immediately terminated, but several weeks later, another co-worker from the renovation company, told me this worker had previously behaved in a sexually inappropriate manner at the previous site (South Carolina). After this incident, I never felt comfortable with the male workers coming into my home. I either was put up in a hotel or stayed at my best friends home anytime the renovation workers entered my home. I am quite sure I have a case after learning this information, but there isn't a selection to choose from for this type of case. Most attorneys I contacted could not represent me because I was not an employee for the renovation company. Can someone please advise me on they type of attorney I need in filing a claim against the renovation company (the renovation company is one of the largest renovation companies in the south).

12 hours ago, Barbie said:

I am quite sure I have a case

I completely disagree.

Your post states that an employee of a contractor at your apartment "approach[ed] [you] in an unsolicited sexual manner (physical and verbal)," but it's not at all clear what that means.  Your post describes no other inappropriate conduct whatsoever.  Your post also does not indicate that you suffered any legally cognizable damages.

Absent some explanation of some sort of illegal/unlawful conduct (i.e., please provide a clear explanation of what this person did), you have no valid claim against anyone.

I reported the incident initially to my apartment maintenance worker and a couple of days later, I told my property manager as well as the incident foreman for the renovation company. This worker was immediately terminated

Which means that you DON'T have a case. You complained; they took immediate action to stop the allegedly illegal behavior. That's all she wrote.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

I think the OP's complaint is that, although the employee was fired after the OP complained, the employee had done something similar on a prior occasion and was not fired.  In other words, if I've read the OP's post correctly, he/she thinks that the employer of this individual should be vicariously liable for the employee's unstated actions because the employer failed to take reasonable action after the prior, vaguely described incident.

The problem is that the OP hasn't clearly described what happened.  The prior incident involved something that was "sexually inappropriate" and the incident with the OP involved the employee "approach[ing] [the OP] in an unsolicited sexual manner."  Without knowing what actually happened, it's impossible to be conclusive.  Also, as I mentioned previously, the OP hasn't indicated that he/she suffered any legally cognizable damages.

The OP needs to be aware, then, that it doesn't work that way. She doesn't get to sue because the employer didn't take action when something happened to someone else. They DID take action when something happened to her.

And she's in Georgia.

Under certain circumstances, an employer could be held liable for negligently hiring or negligently retaining an employee.  The theory is that, by hiring/retaining the employee, the employer created an unreasonable risk of harm to others.  I doubt the facts support such a claim here, but I'll reserve judgment until and unless the OP clarifies the facts.  Another problem is that the OP posted this on an employment/workers' comp board, but the subject of the post has nothing to do with either of those things.

×
×