A.Flores

Marine Mechanic/Boat repair

I hired a local boat mechanic to rebuild my boat motor. He we chose him on a recommendation from a friend.

He said he needed the parts money up front $5000.00. We gave him the money for the parts. Then we would pay for labor after.

$3,300.00. He took the motor apart spent my $5,000.00 and never ordered the parts. Apparently he got evicted form this location.

He put my boat parts in random boxes and took my boat to an undisclosed location. He kept saying he was working on it. He let it sit out with no cover and

the interior molded. The block froze and cracked. He said he has no money to pay me back. What should i do next...hire an attorney, small claims? I prefer to not represent myself.

I don't know what the next step is.

A. Flores

As I understand it, you paid $5k for nothing and incurred $7,800 to remediate damages the guy caused.  You didn't identify your state, but I don't know of any state in which $12,800 isn't in excess of the small claims maximum (although I can't be certain without knowing your state).  Whether you pay an attorney to chase an apparent deadbeat is up to you.

Based on a very quick google search, it appears that $5k is the small claims limit in Washington.  I don't know if attorneys are permitted in small claims court in WA, but it wouldn't likely be cost effective to hire one over a $5k claim.