Last September, I accepted a job that was referred to as a Debris Monitor. I was living in Wilmington, NC at the time. Hurricane Florence had just hit the area recently, and now the cleanup was beginning. The responsibility of my job was to watch a grapple-style dump truck (see image below) collect vegetative debris from the sides of residential streets. I worked this job for about a month before I was released. The job itself was in North Carolina. However, I was working through a staffing agency that was based out of Florida. FEMA was responsible for this entire project, which is why they had to hire people to do what my responsibility was. I watched a truck collect debris until it was completely full. I would then print out a ticket on a hand held device. This ticket was then given to the driver who would in turn give it to the person at the landfill once they arrived there to dump their load of debris. I recall filling out a Federal W-4 Form and also an NC-4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate for North Carolina. I ended up receiving only a 1099 Form from the staffing agency, and no taxes of any kind had been taken out. I had earned about $3800, but when I began entering my info on Turbo Tax, I learned that I would owe the IRS about $340. I don't have that kind of money right now. I've tried contacting the Florida staffing agency to ask about this problem, but so far, I've received no reply.  I would like to amend my tax return so that I can have taxes taken out of my earnings with this staffing agency and therefore not have to pay the IRS such a large amount. Is there any way I can somehow get a W-2? 

IMG_1331-1024x681.jpg

Screenshot_2018-09-14-00-18-04.png

No PayrollHRGuy, they were actually hand written each week. Let me know if you would like to see an example. I think I still have some of them. To answer your question,, RetiredinVA, I wasn't sure what exactly could or couldn't be done at this point. 

12 hours ago, courier2003a said:

when I began entering my info on Turbo Tax, I learned that I would owe the IRS about $340. I don't have that kind of money right now.

There's nothing you can do about it now.

You have a month to come up with the money. If you still don't have the money, file your return anyway and ask for a payment plan.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements

The worst that will happen is you'll pay some interest while you pay off the taxes.

This year pay more attention to your paychecks and pay stubs so you can catch this kind of thing early on. And if you do work on a 1099 basis make sure you pay estimated tax throughout the year so you don't have this problem next year.

2 hours ago, courier2003a said:

No PayrollHRGuy, they were actually hand written each week. Let me know if you would like to see an example. I think I still have some of them. To answer your question,, RetiredinVA, I wasn't sure what exactly could or couldn't be done at this point. 

That is strange considering you were going through a staffing agency. But the damage is done and there is little that you can do about it at this point.  You didn't have the taxes deducted and paid for you.  You will need to pay for them now.

2 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

The worst that will happen is you'll pay some interest while you pay off the taxes.

Not just interest. There is also a late payment penalty that is also added, though if the installment agreement is entered into before the statutory final notice is sent the installment agreement will reduce the amount of the penalty. It works as follows. The basic late payment penalty is 0.5% per month of the unpaid tax. If the tax remains unpaid at the time the statutory final notice goes out and there is no installment agreement, the late payment penalty becomes 1% per month. But if the taxpayer enters into an installment agreement before that final notice, the rate drops to 0.25% per month. So if you cannot pay it all when you file the return or get the first bill, promptly get on an installment agreement. It will save you you money by reducing the amount of the late payment penalty that accrues.

I never faced a situation like this. It was apparently a government project. FEMA came in to clean up the mess left by Hurricane Florence. They used multiple staffing agencies to recruit people. They set up an office in Wilmington and had people assigned to distribute and collect the equipment used during the project by employees--the Debris Monitors (hand held device and small printer). That same group of staff members also recorded the time we worked each day, which could have been as much as 11 hours.  I've been told by one tax person that I should talk to somebody in Florida about revising my info and provide me with a W-2 since the staffing agency I was working for happened to be based out of Florida.  The only tax document I received was a 1099. Nothing had been taken out. There was only one amount listed on the 1099, which was the total amount I earned during the one month I was on the project.  

16 hours ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

That is strange considering you were going through a staffing agency. But the damage is done and there is little that you can do about it at this point.  You didn't have the taxes deducted and paid for you.  You will need to pay for them now.

Yeah, I guess so.  I don't have a choice now. Here are some examples of the forms I did complete. I've included one of my time sheets and a sample 1099.  An amount of $3858 in Box 7 was the only amount listed. If I had known before I started this job that they were going to do this, then I might not have accepted the position. One more thing, I was paid via direct deposit. 

NCDOR.JPG

Time Sheet.JPG

W4.JPG

1099.JPG

4 hours ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

What you might want to do is report the employer to the State's DOL.

Florida, North Carolina, or both? I even saw an address on one piece of my paperwork that listed a staffing agency in Alabama. WTF??!!

You were undoubtedly hired as an independent contractor.  As such, you were not an employee and the firm you were contracted with was not required to withhold your taxes, FICA, Medicare, etc.  If they had done so your paycheck would probably have been considerably less than you contracted to be paid and you would have been complaining about that.

Sorry about your dad.

The DOL for the state that you worked in and the Feds.

I didn't ask one question I should have.  Who did your checks come from, the staffing agency or someone else?

They certainly treated the OP as an IC but that isn't what he should have been.