Mjolnir100

Haven't signed the Final Settlemen

I was in an auto accident in which I was the plaintiff and the attorneys that represented me and the auto insurer's company lawyers reached a final settlement. I received a copy of the settlement towards the end of 2018.  I received a MRI, and saw two additional doctors referred to me by my attorneys. I signed the payment arrangement in which the MRI company and doctors defer receiving their payment until, and if a settlement is reached. When I received the final settlement documents I called and left a phone message and also emailed my attorneys asking for copies of my doctors' charges and the MRI charges, and stated I needed to know if the settlement amount was suffice to cover the charges after the attorney charges are deducted. I have never received a reply from my attorneys.  So that's where everything presently sits.  The amount of the settlement is only $4500.  I did not like the doctors my attorneys send me to.  The MRI revealed I have bulging discs in my neck. One pain doctor my attorneys sent me to wanted me to have some type of injections (perhaps steroids) in my discs. I declined at the time as the pain was slight and I always prefer if possible to let my body heal itself. So as you can imagine, by the time of the deposition, I wasn't exactly my attorneys' favorite client.  I thought perhaps with the beginning of the new year, if not but any other reason for year end closing out business statements, etc., I would hear from my attorneys.  Meanwhile, the other reason I have been waiting to sign the settlement was to see how my neck's discs were. I now have more pain in my neck. I fear to sign this settlement would be a mistake as I may be now having significant medical issues in the future with the discs. One reason in the beginning that I went to my attorneys' doctors was I had no health insurance. In a couple of months I will have Medicare and the supplement including Part B and can see the doctors I prefer. What should I do?  If I don't sign and obtain other attorneys what happens to my original attorneys and their charges?  I don't want to sign away my rights as this neck pain increases and I may be having a great deal of trouble with it in the future.  I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

44 minutes ago, Mjolnir100 said:

I called and left a phone message and also emailed my attorneys asking for copies of my doctors' charges and the MRI charges, and stated I needed to know if the settlement amount was suffice to cover the charges after the attorney charges are deducted. I have never received a reply from my attorneys. 

One phone message, one email in the last two months. You need to call once a day until the lawyer talks to you and you can let him know what you want and what's happening to you medically. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

46 minutes ago, Mjolnir100 said:

If I don't sign and obtain other attorneys what happens to my original attorneys and their charges?

You'll have to pay them. They won't give up that money.

46 minutes ago, Mjolnir100 said:

I would appreciate any advice.

Use the phone.

What was the date of the accident? Has a lawsuit been filed? The statute of limitations is two years for injury lawsuits in Texas.

1 hour ago, Mjolnir100 said:

What should I do?

Confer with your attorney about your concerns.

1 hour ago, Mjolnir100 said:

Depends on the terms of your agreement with the current attorney, but you'll presumably be on the hook for a reasonable fee based on how much time the attorney spent on the case.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:01 PM, adjusterjack said:

1

Use the phone.

You can find all the answer in this article.  you must be read this article now. Car Accident Lawyer

×
×