Sign in to follow this  
TonyaML

Mrs. T

I found out through 23 and Me, I have a half sister. We are all adults. Before I answer any of her questions I’d like to know if she has any rights to his life insurance and/or estate when he passes? Can she force a paternity test?

Life insurance benefits are paid to the designated beneficiary.  Entitlement to life insurance benefits  has nothing to do with biological kinship.

Whether she would be entitled to any part of his estate depends on things we don't know.  Was she adopted by a third party?  If so, the adoption terminated the connection between her and your father.  

28 minutes ago, TonyaML said:

I found out through 23 and Me, I have a half sister. We are all adults. Before I answer any of her questions I’d like to know if she has any rights to his life insurance and/or estate when he passes?

Note that I have no idea who or what "23 and Me" might be or how you might find "out through 23 and Me" that you "have a half sister" or whether such information is reliable.  Have you verified that this information is accurate?

I assume that "his" and "he" refer to your father.  Correct?  I also assume that the information you have received is that your father is also this alleged half sister's father.  Also correct?

If all that's correct, the benefits of any life insurance policies that your father maintains will be paid according to the beneficiary designations on the policies.  If, for some reason, your father fails to designate a beneficiary, then the benefits would be payable to his estate.  The disposition of his estate will be dictated by the terms of his will.  If he dies without a will (or other estate planning device), then his estate would be handled in accordance with the terms of the intestate succession laws of his state of residence.  Since you didn't tell us where "he" lives, we can't tell you anything about what those laws say.

34 minutes ago, TonyaML said:

Can she force a paternity test?

We have no way of knowing this person's abilities.  She certainly can ask a court to order a DNA test, but we have no way of knowing how likely it would be that the court would allow it (it certainly wouldn't happen as long as your father is alive).

4 hours ago, pg1067 said:

Note that I have no idea who or what "23 and Me" might be or how you might find "out through 23 and Me" that you "have a half sister" or whether such information is reliable.

"23 and Me" is a genealogy site where you send samples of your DNA and you find out who all your biological relatives are. It's popular and reasonably accurate for close relatives. But when they tell you that you are related to thousands of people going back hundreds of years, well, I don't know about that. There are several genealogy services like that.

14 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

"23 and Me" is a genealogy site where you send samples of your DNA and you find out who all your biological relatives are. It's popular and reasonably accurate for close relatives. But when they tell you that you are related to thousands of people going back hundreds of years, well, I don't know about that. There are several genealogy services like that.

All your biological relatives that they also have DNA from.