Dnaposse

Trade-In Used in a Crime

My husband and I traded in a car for a newer one.  We did all of the paperwork to trade in the car and transfer ownership at the dealership.  Last month we received a ticked in the mail for the car we traded.  I called the dealership and they said the car was sold at auction and advised us to disregard the letter and they would handle it.  Last week five police officers knock on our door asking for my husband.  They ask if we own the car and my husband tells them we traded it in almost nine months ago.   They tell him the car was used in a crime.   Just yesterday, we receive another letter from the city saying the car is in the impound and we need to take care of it.  My questions is, can we fold the dealership responsible for not doing what they promised?  What kind of law would this fall under?  What can we do legally? 

Did you not send the DMV the sold notice like you were supposed to?

I'm guessing not, or you would not have this problem.

18 hours ago, Dnaposse said:

can we fold the dealership responsible for not doing what they promised?

For what? What are your damages?

Presumably, you retained all your paperwork from when you traded in the car and can respond to the letters with copies of the proof that you no longer own the car.

18 hours ago, Dnaposse said:

What can we do legally? 

Like I said, respond to the letters with copies of your documentation and that should be the end of it sooner or later.

19 hours ago, Dnaposse said:

Last week five police officers knock on our door asking for my husband.  They ask if we own the car and my husband tells them we traded it in almost nine months ago.   They tell him the car was used in a crime.

And then what happened?

19 hours ago, Dnaposse said:

Just yesterday, we receive another letter from the city saying the car is in the impound and we need to take care of it.

Have you called the person who sent the letter and explained that you sold the car?  If so, what happened as a result?

19 hours ago, Dnaposse said:

My questions is, can we fold the dealership responsible for not doing what they promised?  What kind of law would this fall under?  What can we do legally?

Since you didn't identify your state, no one can cite any particular laws.  However, most states have laws that require a person who has sold or transferred a car to file a notice regarding the sale or transfer with the DMV within a fairly short time period after the sale or transfer.  If you suffer some damage as a result of the dealer's failure to do something, then you can sue.  However, you were put on notice a month ago that the dealer didn't do what it was supposed to do and apparently failed to follow up after the dealer told you it "would handle it."  You then got another notice last week that the dealer still hadn't handled it.  You need to follow up with the dealer, but you also need to take action yourself to protect your interests and not rely on the dealer.

×
×