Andi13

do i have any rights over the car?

couple months ago my husband tried to purchase a car .

his credit is not the greatest . i offered to get the car for him. the car is completely on my name nothing of his is on the title . he pays for the car but refuses to refinance it in his name . unfortunately we are going thru a divorce and would rather not have his car in my name but he refuses to fix this. what can i do about this situation? he says i have no rights over the car since he pays for it but i just dont know.

Your husband is lying.  On the contrary, if the car title is in your name, the car is yours and he has no rights to the car.  The divorce court should give you exclusive use and possession of the vehicle  if you ask for it.    His payments would be considered the same as rent.   But, you would then have to make the payments or sell it.

Don't take legal advice from the enemy.

You own the car. If you want it, take it. But then you'll have to make the payments until you sell it.

Make sure you get awarded the car in the divorce decree. If you allow him to get it you will always be on the hook for the loan because he won't be able to refinance because of his poor credit.

This should be on the family law/divorce board.  Anyway...

7 hours ago, Andi13 said:

my husband tried to purchase a car .

his credit is not the greatest . i offered to get the car for him. the car is completely on my name nothing of his is on the title . he pays for the car but refuses to refinance it in his name .

If his credit was such that he was unable to buy the car in the first place, what makes you think he has the ability to refi in his name?

what can i do about this situation?

What is your desired result?  Sounds like your preference would be for your husband to refi in his name and for you to transfer title to him.  You probably can get an order to that effect in your divorce decree, but if he doesn't have the ability to refi in his name, you'll have to have a plan B.  This is something you should discuss with your divorce attorney.  What you absolutely should not do is transfer title to him without him having refinanced the loan.

he says i have no rights over the car since he pays for it but i just dont know.

You should know.  The title is in your name, and his assertion that you "have no rights over the car" is beyond absurd.