Sign in to follow this  
its_just_me870411

Vehicle Impound

Hi, 

Friday my vehicle got impounded while I was trying to replace my battery, it overheated, & stopped so it's not like I had a choice on where to park it..however I pushed it out of traffic way& into a county road. While it took me awhile to locate help, take out my battery & find another ride back to my vehicle (approx 4 hours) I returned & it wasn't there so I found out that the town's city police dept. picked it up.. when I spoke to the lady she sounded like she was saying a bunch of excuses but we all know they like to make money obviously, so now my truck is staying there with NO BATTERY at the impound. So I feel like I was done wrong somewhere as I had no choice on any matter because my old lady wanted to stop. there. So my question is there a law that states that authorities shouldn't pick up a vehicle quickly? Example giving it maybe 6 hours, 12 even? giving the citizens a chance to repair? It is normal for vehicles to break down & sometimes it happens in unconvenient places & times. again, it was not in the way of traffic, also the road didn't have a shoulder.. which not my fault. 

Also when I pick up the vehicle do they just want the money (ins& all) or do they do a lookup on the owners record?

any help is appreciated.

No there is no such law.

You will have to prove ownership and pay the cost to pick it up,  Did you leave a note on the vehicle explaining the situation with a phone number to contact you?  Was there any way that they would know that it wasn't abandoned?

First, you have not identified the state where this occurred so no one can tell you if there is a state law about when a vehicle can be towed.

Second, if I understand your story, you left the truck on the highway unattended for four hours.  I suspect there is no law anywhere that allows a person to leave an unattended vehicle on the highway for any significant period of time.  The state is not required to have shoulders on rural roads.

33 minutes ago, its_just_me870411 said:

So I feel like I was done wrong somewhere as I had no choice on any matter because my old lady wanted to stop. there

Then your old lady should pay the towing fee.

34 minutes ago, its_just_me870411 said:

Also when I pick up the vehicle do they just want the money (ins& all) or do they do a lookup on the owners record?

any help is appreciated.

I am quite sure they will want to see your registration to prove the vehicle is yours.  If the registration points to you as a driver with a suspended license, I suspect that will be a problem.

Just a suggestion: join the American Automobile Association and avoid these problems.

that's what she suggested that I should've left a note.. & although I thought of it before leaving.. I just thought I'd be back in a bit. Honestly though, would they have HONESTLY listened to a note? & also I am sure that the cop on site would've picked up my info with my licence plate & would've been nice if they called first. 

4 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

First, you have not identified the state where this occurred so no one can tell you if there is a state law about when a vehicle can be towed.

Second, if I understand your story, you left the truck on the highway unattended for four hours.  I suspect there is no law anywhere that allows a person to leave an unattended vehicle on the highway for any significant period of time.  The state is not required to have shoulders on rural roads.

Then your old lady should pay the towing fee.

I am quite sure they will want to see your registration to prove the vehicle is yours.  If the registration points to you as a driver with a suspended license, I suspect that will be a problem.

Just a suggestion: join the American Automobile Association and avoid these problems.

Sorry this is in Texas,  & yes I have a suspended licence, I use my state ID for everything, that ID is under my truck title& insurance as well. 

LOL sorry again, I meant old lady as in ... my truck. Its a 2004, so I call her old lady.  The lady informed me that they took it because the road didn't have shoulders, I have explained to her that what did she expect me to do ? I was in the outskirts by myself, I pushed my truck to the county road myself.. did she expect me to push all they way into town which was 5 miles? I honestly think that they saw dollar signs when they saw it just there.