Julian84

Need advice for a friend - California

Hello all,

My friend recently moved into a house in San Mateo, California and signed a year long lease.  The owner of the home lives there with his wife and another person renting another room.  After less than 2 weeks of living there, she was asked to move out.  She is respectful and very quiet.  The owner of the home claimed that his wife said she was too loud and that she couldn't take it.  He also said she is going through things which I believe is menopause.   We found out from the other roommate that this is the third time that this is happening.    What can she do in this situation?  Any information would be really helpful.  Thank you!

Julian

38 minutes ago, Julian84 said:

What can she do in this situation?

We don't know your friend's abilities, but she presumably can do lots of things.

If she's got a one-year lease, then she can't be evicted except for breach of the lease -- i.e., she's not obligated to move out just because she was asked to do so.  That said, and with full recognition of the fact that moving is a pain in the ass, does she really want to suffer through another 11+ months in what didn't start out as an ideal living situation and with a landlord who obviously doesn't want her there?

Thank you, pg1067!   She doesn't want to live there anymore and is actively looking.  Is there a way to legally get her deposit back?  Is there anything else I may be overlooking that could help her out?

Thanks again!

20 hours ago, Julian84 said:

Is there a way to legally get her deposit back?

Sure.  If/when she moves out, the landlord will be required to comply with the security deposit law.  Off the top of my head, I think it's section 1954 of the Civil Code (or somewhere around there).