Karen Wallace

buyer and co-buyer switched after paper work completed

I went with my father to look at cars for him. He found one he really liked so we went through the whole 9 yards and at the end, we found out he needed a co-signer, so I was more than happy to sign for him since I would do anything to help him, he is my dad after all. After all was said and done we stared getting papers from the finance company in my name, which seemed odd to me. Come to find out they {not sure if it was dealership or finance company } listed me as buyer instead of co-signer. The funny thing is, one, I don't even have a licence, and two, I am on disability and could not make the payments even if I had to. My father has not even received a registration card for the car and he bought it in December of last year. My question is, how can they take me signing as co-signer and change it to purchaser with out knowledge or permission from me? Is there anything I can do about this? I have been over to the dealership 3 times already as well as several calls to them without any response. Any suggestions you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Karen Wallace said:

My question is, how can they take me signing as co-signer and change it to purchaser with out knowledge or permission from me?

That's easy.

You probably signed the contract without reading and understanding it.

Do you have the contract? Read it now and see where your name is at the top of the contract.

3 minutes ago, Karen Wallace said:

I have been over to the dealership 3 times already as well as several calls to them without any response.

Of course not. It's a done deal. They have nothing to talk to you about.

1 hour ago, Karen Wallace said:

I am on disability and could not make the payments even if I had to.

Then co-signing was beyond foolish.

1 hour ago, Karen Wallace said:

how can they take me signing as co-signer and change it to purchaser with out knowledge or permission from me?

You don't really expect anyone here to have information about this situation beyond what you shared with us do you?  Or are you asking us to blindly guess how this might have happened?

When you called the lender and asked about this, what response did you receive?

1 hour ago, Karen Wallace said:

Is there anything I can do about this?

Of course there is.  However, keep in mind that, regardless of whether you're listed on the loan papers as "buyer" or "co-signer," your obligation is exactly the same.

1 hour ago, Karen Wallace said:

You went there in person -- during business hours, I assume -- and got no response?  Did people just ignore you as if you weren't there?

×
×