sd-trainer

Bank reopened closed acct, ILLEGAL? (gave insurance CO my NEW act info), & more

I had difficulty receiving my bank statements for over four years. I complained to the bank over and over. Meanwhile, someone was committing  fraudulent activity in my bank account . They withdrew funds by using the same check over and over, somehow used my ATM without using my actual card, and had merchants withdraw funds via my account routing number.

I had no idea any of this was going on. I had concerns but when I called the bank to ask, they told me there were no problems. By the time I found out there were issues (thousands and thousands of dollars) they told me it was too late for them to do anything. They did admit that some ATM withdrawals were not me.

My phone password had been compromised, I asked for new statements and yet, I never got any help.

I went into the actual banking center time after time for advice as to what to do. After 5 times (different branches), my account was still open and no one had done anything.

Finally, I just closed the account and opened a new one. It took a ridiculous 3 hours! At last, I was done.

A month later, I called the bank to find out why I still had not received statements and why I was not getting my direct deposit into my new account.

The "agent" would not speak to me because the security questions she asked me were all about my old account: What was my old account's ATM card #? What was the check # from my old account a year ago? What was going on?

I found out that the bank had re-opened my old account, allowed my direct deposits to go to my old account and then froze it so that I could not get my deposits out.

In addition, they allowed my insurance company (who had automatically withdrawn from my old account) to automatically withdraw from my new account. I had never given them permission to do so. 

And, lastly, there was a fraudulent auto-withdraw on my new account.

What the heck is going on here? How much of this is illegal and what steps do I take to get out of this?

22 hours ago, sd-trainer said:

Aside from what's in the prior response (all of which I agree with), you need to consult with a local attorney about this.

×
×