LaBurns505

need advice badly, please help.

So, 25 years ago i fell in love with a guy. I soon found out that he was here illegally, he had bought a birth cert. and gotten a DL with it. he also sent it in to the social security admin and received a SS card. he had a border crossing card with his real name that he used to go back and forth. he hasn't been back to Mexico since he was 17, hasn't been able to visit family. in 1998 we got married in his fake name, he had credit established, payed taxes, all very normal. My husband has worked his butt off to become a very succesful person. after September 11 everything changed. in two years he will no longer be able to fly because he does not have a "real ID". We are both very sick of this and want to fix the situation. We should have done this years ago but it was never the right time, we were terrified he would lose his job. we have 3 children. We have been advised to marry again in his real name. (do we get divorced first? will I be a bigamist if we don't?) We have gone to 3 attorneys and have gotten conflicting advice. We have been told to wait until the administration changes. We don't know what to do, and the stress is destroying my husband.

any advise would be welcome.

LB

1 hour ago, LaBurns505 said:

We have been advised to marry again in his real name. (do we get divorced first? will I be a bigamist if we don't?)

Advised by whom?  It doesn't make any sense.  You're married to the man, not the name.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what your question is.  I'd suggest finding an immigration lawyer that your husband is comfortable with and retaining that attorney to assist him.

Advised by an Attorney. What exactly doesn't make sense? Yes I am married to the man, but to move forward don't I need to be married to the correct name?? As I said in the post I have conflicting advise by Attorneys and now we aren't sure what to do.

2 hours ago, LaBurns505 said:

What exactly doesn't make sense? Yes I am married to the man, but to move forward don't I need to be married to the correct name?

As I said, you're not married to a name.  You can't marry someone to whom you're already married.