Sign in to follow this  
Wmfmktt

Threatened with involuntary detention if AMA was requested, next day discharged and insurance dropped

I was seeking mental health treatment in a in patient facility, resident for almost 2 weeks. I made a request for a treatment plan with a discharge date with the nurse practitioner and was refused.

Next day,I again requested a discharge date with a rough draft treatment plan and supporting claims. Again denied and I mentioned requesting AMA if I wasn't given a plan for treatment soon. NP stated I looked manic, I admitted to feeling anxiety over the issue. She left to speak with the psychologist (I hadn't met) only to return and state that if I filed a request they would hold me involuntarily and move me to the acute wing. I was very upset by the threat and retreated back to my room and layed on the bed reading for a couple hours. The next day the N.P. calls me into her office and tells me they overdosed my meds and it was best for me to stay at least 2 more days to balance the chemicals. I agreed. The following day a Friday. I was told I was being discharged, went to fill my prescriptions and was informed my insurance dropped me that day. Could the N.P. a/o Dr. a/o facility be sued for discharging me knowing I was without medications/insurance? 

Insurance approved the in patient stay and Bills incurred but stated I failed to return a form, mailed to my house, during my hospitalization. Could the insurance company be sued for cancelling my policy knowing I did not have access/ ability to perform such a request at that time?

How does the insurance company know you did not have access to return the form? They don't know if you live alone or have sixteen relatives that could have brought the form to you.