I need advice on next step to take please.  I had a family member involved in a head on collision, I was at the scene with 2 Life Flight helicopters and large variety of first responders.  I left the accident when the ambulance did and was 1-2 miles behind it, didn’t try to keep up.  However, on my way to the hospital I was pulled over for speeding by a local police officer.  He informed me that he did not care WHY I was speeding, wrote me a ticket and basically told me if I didn’t like it that I could show up for the court date on the ticket.  What are my best options, if there are any to try to get this ticket removed?

11 hours ago, Sandy said:

What are my best options, if there are any to try to get this ticket removed?

Show up on the court date.  If the officer doesn't appear, the court will dismiss the case.

I'm assuming that you were in fact driving faster than the speed limit when you got pulled over, because if you weren't and can prove it, then you'd have an argument on the merits of the charge.

You could also try the usual challenges to the accuracy of the speed measurement device [search these on the internet or consult with a local attorney who handles traffic cases] but the police are usually well prepared to respond to those challenges in court.

If the officer does show up [and, in most jurisdictions most of the time, the officer will show up] and assuming you really were exceeding the speed limit by approximately the amount that the officer claimed that you were -- then all you can do is tell your story to the judge and hope the judge is inclined to be lenient.

Depending on how fast you were going (how far over the speed limit), and depending on your traffic ticket history (how many you've had before and how recently), and depending on how sympathetic the court is to your situation, the court might be willing to let you do traffic school, or probation before judgment, or some other kind of diversion that, if successfully completed, would either eliminate the ticket entirely or just reduce the resulting points and fines.

Suggest discussing your situation with a local attorney who handles traffic cases who can give you guidance on the particulars of your matter and on what the particular judge/court is likely to do with your specific facts.

Of course, if the name and other identifying information on the ticket are incorrect, your case will never be called and no conviction will appear on your record.  If then officer merely handed you the wrong ticket, your case may be called.

16 hours ago, Sandy said:

I had a family member involved in a head on collision, I was at the scene

Were you in any car involved in the collision or did you witness the collision?  Or did you arrive at the scene after the fact?

16 hours ago, Sandy said:

What are my best options, if there are any to try to get this ticket removed?

Nothing in your post suggests any defense against a speeding charge.  You can go to court and tell your story and see if the court will be sympathetic, but your desire to get to the hospital quickly is not a legal excuse for speeding.

3 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

Of course, if the name and other identifying information on the ticket are incorrect, your case will never be called and no conviction will appear on your record.  If then officer merely handed you the wrong ticket, your case may be called.

Seems like an awfully random comment....  Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, pg1067 said:

Seems like an awfully random comment....  Am I missing something?

No, I'm missing something.  I did not look at the original post and assumed it was a continuation of a recent post where the poster said he or she got a ticket with the wrong name and other identifying info.  Sorry.

I was not in any of the cars involved in the accident, it happened very close to my house, when I got the call I immediately went to the scene to check on my family member.  I am in the medical field profession.  When they finally got them cut out of the vehicles, I left behind the ambulance carrying my unconscious family member in it.  There were 2 ambulances and 2 Life Flight helicopters that left the scene with victims of the collision.   I did not keep up with the ambulance, I ended up being 1-2 miles behind it.  Needless to say I was very upset and really not paying attention to my speed.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, MiddlePart said:

Show up on the court date.  If the officer doesn't appear, the court will dismiss the case.

I'm assuming that you were in fact driving faster than the speed limit when you got pulled over, because if you weren't and can prove it, then you'd have an argument on the merits of the charge.

You could also try the usual challenges to the accuracy of the speed measurement device [search these on the internet or consult with a local attorney who handles traffic cases] but the police are usually well prepared to respond to those challenges in court.

If the officer does show up [and, in most jurisdictions most of the time, the officer will show up] and assuming you really were exceeding the speed limit by approximately the amount that the officer claimed that you were -- then all you can do is tell your story to the judge and hope the judge is inclined to be lenient.

Depending on how fast you were going (how far over the speed limit), and depending on your traffic ticket history (how many you've had before and how recently), and depending on how sympathetic the court is to your situation, the court might be willing to let you do traffic school, or probation before judgment, or some other kind of diversion that, if successfully completed, would either eliminate the ticket entirely or just reduce the resulting points and fines.

Suggest discussing your situation with a local attorney who handles traffic cases who can give you guidance on the particulars of your matter and on what the particular judge/court is likely to do with your specific facts.

MiddlePart

Thank you very much for your advice.  You were more helpful than anyone on here.  I truly appreciate your response.

21 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

Which is why you got pulled over and cited.

Thank you adjusterjack, I can assure you I’m very well aware of that.  I truly hope you are never in any kind of situation similar to mine involving one of your immediate family members.  And if you are, I hope no one responds to any question you may need guidance on with the uncalled for response that you chose to post on here.  I was in a very bad emotional state at the time.  I am not making excuses, just stating facts as well as addressing the manner in which the police officer treated me...which is pretty much the same way you did with your response.