Wismer

Mysterious loss of ID

Hi.  A few weeks back, I got a text from my former spouse, stating "BTW, I misplaced the passports" (and that I need to find a way to get her new signatures and information from me for all 4 children). In decades (literal), this person has never replaced a plane ticket nor important travel doc. It is being touted as a crisis as the X and the children are heading out of the country in a few months. This was far from an amicable and friendly divorce (I filed). Has anyone ever heard of using this tactic to simply antagonize, or perhaps to prep for some other legal agenda? Thx.

Not a legal issue. Divorced people find hundreds of ways to antagonize ex spouses. Especially when there are minor children involved.

It's up to you to decide whether you run around doing her bidding or say "You lost them, you figure out what to do about it."

If your ex is looking to make life difficult, they picked a strange way to do so. Travel is months away and replacing a current passport is not terribly difficult. Annoying maybe, but easily remedied. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/after/lost-stolen.html

It is unclear why you would be the one to remedy this if the other parent is the one traveling out of country and lost the passports.

×
×