I got a rent to own portable building,  l could not afford it  so i stopped paying notes on it and I told the company to come and get it from my land, two months later it hadnt been removed I texted the company and told them I was moving from the land the building was on, please come pick it up.  9 months later the building was still there.  One day I went there and the building was gone.  I thought the company got it until a year latter I received papers suing me for the building they say they didn't get it.  So it seems the building was stolen,  Am I liable for this building that they left abandone for over a year before they came to pick it up?

I still have the text on my phone.  There is a termination clause .  (Rentor can terminate agreement by authorizing  return of property to lessor.)  I did this.  $7,700 plus court cost.

Then you aren't in small claims court ($3500 limit).

What kind of portable building was it?

Did your summons instruct you to file an answer within a certain amount of time?

Have you done so?

Upload a copy of the complaint if you like. Redact any identifying information. Can't give you step-by-step legal advice but might be able to make helpful comments.

What kind of court will it be then?DERKSEN .       Yes it did.      Not yet.  Can't upload copies.  Can they take me to jail for this?  I'm so stressed out about it,  can they put a lien on my land or home or any of my belongings?

2 hours ago, Gb3646 said:

What kind of court will it be then?

It should say so on the summons and complaint at the top of the page. Probably county court but if there is no county court where you are it will be the circuit court.

2 hours ago, Gb3646 said:

DERKSEN .

I was hoping for more than that. Derksen makes lots of portable buildings. Go to the website, find yours and come back with the price that you would have paid if you bought it for cash.

https://derksenbuildings.com/

2 hours ago, Gb3646 said:

Not yet.  Can't upload copies. 

Then quote the numbered list of allegations word for word.

2 hours ago, Gb3646 said:

Can they take me to jail for this? 

It's a civil lawsuit. If you were subject to criminal prosecution you'd have known it a long time ago.

2 hours ago, Gb3646 said:

can they put a lien on my land or home or any of my belongings?

If they get a judgment against you it can become a lien on your real estate and you would have to pay the judgment off if you were to sell or refinance. Along the way they can garnish your paycheck and levy your bank account. Going after personal property is complicated and costly so creditors rarely do that.

×
×