Madison Hurley

Wrong name on ticket

Hard to tell. Probably very little as the officer wrote down your car description and license plate number and how about your driver license number. He probably made notes of everything you said.

At any rate, you aren't likely to get very far denying that it was you but you might be able to cast doubt on his observational skills by insisting that you did stop and if he couldn't get your name, DOB and description right how can he be trusted to say whether you stopped or not.

You really have nothing to lose by pleading not guilty and taking a shot at having your day in court. Unless you prefer traffic school (if eligible) and it all goes away.

The only thing right was my driver's license # and the car description, I wasnt planning on trying to pass it off as if it wasnt me but more of if maybe it would be thrown out because of the mistake. I was thinking of taking a deffensive driving class, does that do much to effect the ruling? I did want to plea not guilty like you suggested! 

Tickets don't get dismissed due to mistakes on the ticket. The ticket is just your notice. What counts is the officer's notes about the stop. You might be able to use the mistake to bring doubt as to his credibility but that's a risk because the police are often wearing body cameras these days. Even if he got the information wrong it'll be your car and your face on the TV when he plays the recording.

If you are eligible to take traffic school you are pleading guilty to do so if it's the process that gets the ticket dismissed when you finish the class. That way it stays off your driving record and away from your insurance company.

×