Sign in to follow this  
Carter

Public Education Rights

13 posts in this topic

I am a CT resident. Looking for answers regarding education for my child. My child currently resides in a district and was found not to be a resident of the district (1) at a Residency hearing. I had another residency hearing for the district (2) whom my current district states should be responsible for my child's education. My son was found not to be a resident of that district (2) as well (Makes since for the second hearing because I nor my child live in district number (2). I'm wondering who is responsible for the education of my child if neither district will acknowledge residence? All paperwork was submitted for the district (1) where I live and residency was approved for me but not for my child who resides with me in district (1).

More details, please.

Do you share custody with another parent? Where does that parent live? Does the child live with that parent part time? Is there something else going on?

I can't imagine you having a problem if you and your child live in one place together 100% of the time so there is obviously a lot missing from your post.

I have full custody but the other parent is involved. The child lives with me. Other family members help depending on my work schedule and other parent work schedule.

The issue is, the child is deemed not residing in any of the 2 districts through residency hearings by both districts.  The issue is peculiar, I agree as many have stated but this still remains to be an issue that I need to figure out. 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

My child currently resides in a district and was found not to be a resident of the district (1) at a Residency hearing

Let's get back to that for a moment.

At the hearing somebody in authority said "I find that your child is not a resident of this district because ___________________________________________________________________________________________________."

Fill in the blank.

Did you appeal either finding to the State Board of Education?

It looks like that would have been the way to have had the residency decision of the local Board of Education reviewed if you think the local Board got it wrong.

Yes, I am in the process of appealing the decision now. I'm just concerned about my child possibly being pulled out of school as district 1 is claiming district 2 is responsible and district 2 is claiming district 1 is responsible. Now my child (with special needs) is stuck in the middle of all this.

Let's try this again:

At the hearing somebody in authority said "I find that your child is not a resident of this district because ___________________________________________________________________________________________________."

Fill in the blank.

Because they they feel District 2 is responsible for the education for the child due to their evidence. And District 2 feels that District 1 is responsible due to their evidence.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Because they they feel District 2 is responsible for the education for the child due to their evidence. And District 2 feels that District 1 is responsible due to their evidence.

That really gives us nothing to discuss.  We have no idea what evidence either of the districts believes is the best evidence.

Echoing the other responses.  There must have been some explanation as to why District 1 (where, according to you, the child apparently lives most of the time with the custodial parent) believes the child does not live in District 1 for purposes of school.  It seems you do not disagree with District 2's conclusion that the child is not appropriately schooled in that district.  Simply saying "due to their evidence" tells us nothing.

On a related note, we're halfway through the 2018-19 school year.  When were these determinations made?  Unless this is the child's first year of school where did he attend school in prior years?  Also, how old is the child?

18 hours ago, Carter said:

All paperwork was submitted for the district (1) where I live and residency was approved for me but not for my child who resides with me in district (1).

I don't understand what this means.  You're obviously not an elementary school student, so what do you mean that "residency was approved for [you] but not for [your] child"?

Finally:

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I'm just concerned about my child possibly being pulled out of school

So...notwithstanding all of this wrangling, your child is actually enrolled in a school?  In which district?

I'm familiar with such hearings (though not in your state) and this situation as you describe it doesn't even come close to the kind of convoluted situation that typically give rise to a hearing. Being mid-year isn't unusual. Nor does is it odd based upon the age of the student. The folks at the district office didn't wake up one day and decide that Junior is no longer a resident. Something caused them to believe Junior doesn't live in the district. They also didn't just pick another district at random and decide Junior must live there. Why district 2? Does the other parent live there? Did you live there until recently? Do you have stable housing in the district (as opposed to "couch surfing", staying at a hotel, etc.)? Did you share the court order granting you physical custody? Has this changed recently?