Yan

being charged membership over years

I have a question recently. I was enrolled the Sports Club of Novi, MI in 2016. Also in that year, I told them not renew my membership automatically. Just yesterday, a notice popped up said Novi Sports Club charge me 99 dollars, then I found that I was charged not only 2016, but also 2017, 2018, and 2019. Since Mid 2017 I never used any of their service because I thought I was not the member. The owner called me that they can only refund me 2019 membership fee but refused for 2017 and 2018. Their policy is auto-renew for most of their customers' convenience. In this case, should I go to small claims court to sue them?

18 minutes ago, Yan said:

Also in that year, I told them not renew my membership automatically.

Could you provide some details on exactly what you did back in 2016 -- did you just speak to a front desk person or trainer while at the club? did you speak to a manager? did you send them an e-mail or a letter? etc -- how did you communicate? What particular message did you give them?

And -- when you enrolled, were there written terms of membership -- and, if there were, did those terms specify how a member should go about cancelling the membership and did you follow the specified procedure? 

And: in 2017 and 2018 did you just overlook the deductions from your bank account or the charges on your credit card for the 2017 and 2018 fees, or was there something else going on so that you didn't know about them at the time they happened?

That additional information will be helpful in evaluating the strength of a claim that you may have against the club for return of the 2017 and 2018 membership fees.

I speak to the staff in the programming office at the club while I was signing the forms, and also after my daughter finished the last session. This is the department that processes the program enrollment and membership.

I did not send them an e-mail or a letter, because they said I can either drop by in person or call them to withdraw the membership. While signing the forms, I told them:"Do not involve me into your membership automatic renewal." When the last time my daughter made up her missed gymnastic class while I was in the programming office taking the class makeup slip, I also told them this is her last class, it's not for her and we would not renew the membership.

And -- when you enrolled, were there written terms of membership

---that I did not notice, but today the owner said there were written terms mentioned about the automatical renewal of membership when I signed. And there were not any terms regarding the cancelation of the membership.

--- The deduction from my credit card in 2016(charging for 2017 membership) and 2017(charging for 2018 membership) was submerged in a long list of credit card deductions and I set "autopay" for my credit card. Thus, I did not notice that until last weekend I checked my recent credit card history and just saw the deduction on 12/02/18(charging for 2019 membership).  

17 hours ago, Yan said:

I speak to the staff in the programming office at the club while I was signing the forms. While signing the forms, I told them:"Do not involve me into your membership automatic renewal."

You "told" somebody to do something while you signed forms that said otherwise. Bet you didn't bother to read them.

17 hours ago, Yan said:

I did not send them an e-mail or a letter

So there's no proof that you told anybody anything.

17 hours ago, Yan said:

I also told them this is her last class, it's not for her and we would not renew the membership.

Again with the "I told" and nothing in writing.

17 hours ago, Yan said:

The deduction from my credit card in 2016(charging for 2017 membership) and 2017(charging for 2018 membership) was submerged in a long list of credit card deductions and I set "autopay" for my credit card. Thus, I did not notice that until last weekend

Then I suggest you accept the 2019 refund that's been offered. I don't think you have a prayer of winning back the other two years.

Here's what I hope you have learned:

1 - Never rely on the word "told." Get everything and put everything in writing. Keep copies.

2 - Read and understand what you are signing before you sign it. Keep copies.

3 - Check your accounts every month to make sure things are happening the way you want them to happen.

4 - Avoid autopay.

×
×