Curious89

CONFUSED

4 posts in this topic

I live in a residence that rents out three of the four bedrooms. The owner's son stays in the other bedroom. The son is constantly blasting his music and movies that he watches in his room. He also is constantly slamming his bedroom door every time he comes out of his room, which is numerous times during the day and night. He is using cocaine and tries to get the other tenants to party with him. When they refuse, he turns on them and knit-picks at every little thing. He knocked on my bedroom door and when no one answered it, he just took it upon himself to walk in. My boyfriend was in there but he didn't hear anyone knocking because he had headphones on. He gets very mad if the tenants talk to each other. He is telling one tenant that his mother is selling the house and then then telling another that they have to get out by March 1st because they are renovating the backyard. The mother told me she was selling the house and moving to the Philippines and that her son was moving closer to her. However, she informed the other tenant she was moving back in the house so that tenant would have to leave. Her son said that my boyfriend and the other tenants boyfriend can move in as long as they pay him $100 cash more a month. The son is on the path of destruction with his drug use and drinking. He even told me not to stand in front of the house because people were looking for him because he owed them a lot of money for drugs. We were afraid to say anything to the son or the mother in fear of eviction because we can not afford to move. The son also stated that we can not go in the backyard anymore. The tension in the house is really bad. He is lying to his mother and she believes everything he says. Now we don't know who or what to believe. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please don't say to try and find another place, because we have already looked. I'm on a fixed income of $850 a month so it is impossible.

Thank you for your response. Since all the rooms are rented out in the house except one, does that make it a boarding house and does that have to be documented to change from single-family residence to boarding house? Also, what about quiet enjoyment and the safety of the residents who rent the rooms?

What difference does it all make. You're renting from low lifes. They aren't going to obey any laws. You can bring the city down on them and if the city closes the place you have to move. Sue them and they'll terminate your tenancy and you'll have to move.

If you know that the son has cocaine in his possession at any given moment, call the police. Of course, once he gets arrested, you'll all get thrown out anyway.

2 hours ago, Curious89 said:

Please don't say to try and find another place, because we have already looked. I'm on a fixed income of $850 a month so it is impossible.

Then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not a real fan of roommate situations but maybe you can find another roommate arrangement or find a room to rent in somebody's house that isn't a low life.